THE BACKSTORY
Amit, a good friend of mine in school.
Just one of those easy, comfortable friendships—the kind with constant teasing, pointless arguments, and inside jokes that didn’t need explaining. We were part of the same circle, and it was always… light.
Until it wasn’t.
When he got into that relationship, things shifted. Not suddenly, but enough to notice. He started pulling away—not just from me, but from all of us. Plans skipped, calls unanswered, presence reduced to almost nothing.
Later, it made sense.
It wasn’t about us doing anything wrong. It was just… insecurity, boundaries that didn’t include his old life, and him choosing to avoid conflict instead of holding on to it.
It didn’t take long to understand—his relationship didn’t have space for his old life.
So he let the group go.
And we didn’t try to stop him.
No drama, no confrontation. Just distance where there used to be noise.
Until today.
A message popped up in the group chat—“Let’s meet. It’s been a while.”
Simple. Unexpected.
I happened to reach early.
He was already there.
And before the group could fill in the gaps, it became just the two of us.
Now that he’s out of all that toxicity, I think he’s trying to find his way back—not just to people, but to that version of life that felt simple.
And somehow, I’m part of where he decided to start.
THE SCENE
I didn’t expect today to feel this heavy.
The café was almost empty, the kind of place where silence isn’t awkward—it just lingers. Rain traced slow lines down the glass, blurring everything outside, like the world had decided to soften its edges for a while.
Amit looked tired.
Not the kind of tired sleep fixes. The kind that settles somewhere deeper, like it’s been collecting quietly over time.
He kept holding his coffee like it was doing something for him, but he never took a sip.
The low hum of a coffee machine filled the pauses between his sentences.
“I don’t get it,” he said, letting out a small, dry laugh. “I know how it ends. Every time. It’s like I’ve memorized the script.”
I didn’t interrupt. He needed to hear himself more than he needed my response.
He told me how he tries to leave. Deletes chats. Ignores calls. Convincing himself that this time it’s final.
And somehow, it never is.
“I still end up there,” he said. “Like nothing I decided actually mattered.”
I asked him why.
He said that’s the worst part—because he remembers everything.
The fights. The exhaustion. The way things got twisted. The constant feeling of being drained.
None of it is blurry. None of it is forgotten.
And yet, there’s always that one thought that slips in—
maybe this time it’ll be different.
It never is.
There was no drama in the way he said it. Just… clarity.
At some point, he admitted something that made everything else make sense.
He wasn’t holding on to who she really was.
He was holding on to who he thought she could be.
And that version never showed up.
The real one did. And she let him down. Repeatedly.
I asked him why he keeps going back.
He smiled a little, like he already knew how it sounded.
“Because I convince myself it’ll work,” he said.
“Even when I already know how it ends.”
I think it’s strange how the mind can argue with itself and still lose.
He told me he even tried being “just friends,” like changing the label would change the outcome.
It didn’t.
Same pattern. Just a quieter version of it.
Then I asked him what’s different this time.
He took his time.
“Nothing… except I’m tired.”
That word stayed with me.
Not anger. Not sadness. Just… tired.
His phone buzzed right then.
We both looked at it.
He didn’t pick it up.
That’s when I noticed something shift.
Not in a dramatic way. Just enough to feel it.
It buzzed again.
This time, he flipped the phone over.
And there it was—not strength, not resolve… just awareness.
“Maybe I’ll still mess it up,” he said, a faint smile forming, “but at least now I can see it happening.”
That felt honest.
And maybe that’s where it actually begins.
Not with big decisions or sudden change.
Just with seeing things clearly, without lying to yourself, without trying to make it hurt less than it does.
Outside, the rain had softened.
Inside, something in him had too.
Nothing had changed—except he finally stopped pretending it would.
This made me doubt all my decisions😭
ReplyDeleteTrauma sharing bro 😭
DeleteYour blogpost is a clear image of my toxic relationship 🤒 but I never had a chance to admit it like amit 🥲
ReplyDeleteSometimes we don’t get the moment to admit it—but recognizing it now is just as powerful.
DeleteI feel like I am Amit, so am I in a toxic relationship ?🤔
ReplyDeleteWhen will you upload the next blog??
DeleteI post every Monday and Friday ☺️
DeleteThis hits that “quiet heartbreak” feeling really well. Not everything painful is loud or dramatic, sometimes it’s just things fading without closure and you’re left trying to make sense of it later.
ReplyDeleteI think the hardest part is how normal life keeps moving while you’re still mentally stuck in something that already ended.
Do you think people ever really get closure, or do we just learn to stop asking for it?
The truth is, You'll learn that you don't need a closure
Deletethis is proof that no closure is the closure . we all keep looking for that one big dramatic breakout . A closure that is perfect , both parties admitting their own mistakes and parting ways … well life is messy , messy in its own perfectly imperfect way and the only way one gets to move on is simply choosing to stay true to his soul and promise himself better than this .
ReplyDelete